Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Ahhhhh It's a Lovely Day in Ireland




Good morning to you! Ahhhhhhh it's a lovely day in Ireland....can you smell that fresh air?! Wow! I can hear the birds singing outside and I know it's going to be a wonderful day. We've just had our breakfast here at our B&B in Trim...it's Thursday morning and we're going to be taking a bus into Dublin for a day of trekin about the city.   Yesterday I was emailing from the EasyEverything Internet Cafe in Dublin...it cost 1 Euro and 30cents to email for an hour (that's roughly $1.50...so much cheaper than in Glasgow). We took the tour bus around the city so we could learn the history and get a feel for it and where things were. I'm still in amazement that I'm actually here. I already see some differences of Ireland from the UK...there seems to be more building made of brick here, where in the UK they were mostly made of stone). The River Liffey is quite green looking...I'm serious! Everything here has a tint of the green. It was raining yesterday when we arrived but by afternoon it had cleared up and was sunny and quite warm. This morning when I woke it was quite foggy out...but it's already dissapated and is clearing up for a good day (it's 9:40am here on Thursday).   We did a lot of shopping yesterday afternoon...it's a whole new world of souvenirs out there!   Our B&B is lovely. It's a large stone house that has beautiful gardens and flowers all around. Our room is on the 1st floor (in the U.S. we would call it the 2nd floor, but over here they call our 1st floors...ground floor). We can see the ruins of Castle Trim, a river, a stone bridge, and some other stone ruins all from our window! It's so picturesque! So far I would say that this place is the "poshest" place we've stayed in. Oh...and I can email free here from the B&B...so it will be much easier this week for me to get updates out to you.   Last night we had dinner (chicken curry...one of my favorites) at the Castle Arch Hotel restaurant in Trim...it was great to sit and relax after a day of getting up at 3:45am and flying and then gallavanting around the city centre.   Today we hope to visit Trinity College and see the Book of Kells exhibit. Then we plan to go to a geneological history place so mom can maybe do a wee bit of searching on our family ancestory (her maiden name was McCabe...very Irish! We know the McCabes were from Dublin & Cavan counties...and mom has some names to look up...so it could be fun). Then we plan to go to the Guiness brewery and have a pint of the REAL stuff! Later we'll head to Temple Bar and have a meal....that's the plan at least. We'll see what we get ourselves into. Ha!   Tomorrow we will explore Castle Trim nearby (it's apparently the castle that was filmed in the movie "Braveheart") and then drive up to Cavan to see the town and countryside. Saturday we plan to travel a bit south of Dublin to explore Glendalough (with it's round tower and beautiful scenery...I painted a painting for Rod & Theresa who used to live in Ireland...they say Glendalough was one of their favorite spots to go to).   Since I have free internet here I will try to email each day after we have had our adventures so I can keep you updated on how things are going. Until the next email...   We're having a blast! Thank you for your prayers...and for reading these blogs. I appreciate your friendship and I'm taking you along with me.   Cheers! Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment