Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Trip Around The Connemarra



Hello...Happy 4th of July to you all in America! Here in Ireland we set out early this morning on a coach (tour bus) that took us all around the Connemarra (which is a region north of Galway). This gave my dad a bit of a break from doing the driving. It was a lovely sunny day today. We got to see the peat bogs where they harvest the peat for fuel. We got to see loads and loads of rock walls that the farmers build without any morter of mud...it's quite an art to build them...then if they want to move their animals from one field to another they just knock down part of the wall...let them thru...then rebuild the wall again. As we drove thru the boggy areas the bus driver told us that these areas were home to many Irish who died in the potato famine in the 1840's. It's no wonder...the land is so incredibly desolate...and any and all produce and meat was being shipped to England at that time. We stopped at Kylemore Abby for lunch (it's a real working abby in the Connemarra mountains). We also saw scraggly long haired sheep out in the fields...they make me laugh...as the big bus is driving along the one lane road there are the sheep trying to get across the road. It's now 6pm and we're back in Galway...I think we're going to go to a pub tonight that has live traditional Irish music. Tomorrow we take off heading thru the Burren to the Cliffs of Moher and then over to Limirick for the night. I'm emailing from an internet cafe tonight...don't know when I'll get the chance to email next...but I wanted to quickly send one out to you. Someone asked how I have the time to email out while I'm on holiday like this...well, let me just say...YOU GUYS ARE WORTH IT! I enjoy staying in contact...and it's sort of a cartharsis for me. So as long as I have the opportunities...I will keep typing! Please keep praying for us as we travel...we have been fighting colds since we got to Ireland...but our spirits are up and we're having fun despite the soar throats and coughing. Bless you! I love you guys! Cheers, Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment