Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Made it to Galway




Hello...I must make this quick, the B&B we are at in Galway doesn't actually have public internet access...but the people are really nice and have allowed me to use their personal computer to send out an email (the Irish are so nice!).   Today we set out from Trim and headed up to Cavan (where my mom's ancestors are from...the McCabes). We actually found a lady by the name of Eoffa McCabe who runs a flower shop...she is 26 years old with red hair  and she normally doesn't open the shop on Sundays...but she had extra work to do because this weekend is sort of their Memorial Day Weekend (and it's also the memorial of the Battle of Trafalgar in Britain) and she was overrun with flower orders for funerals and memorials. So that was an act of God for her to be open. We had the chance to chat with her and she was very friendly and it was like connecting with family (a real live Irish McCabe!)...in a way....well, the closest we'll get I'm sure to connecting with family. She gave us free flowers and we took pictures with her. It was one of those moments that really blessed my mom. That was so cool!   Then we set out to Clonmacnoise...an old monastery by the River Shannon. OH my goodness it was beautiful! It was raining pretty hard today...so we got a good taste of the Irish weather...but the celtic high crosses, the church ruins, and the old gravesights were incredible! The place was built in the 10th century!!! I got some great photos! It was so cool!   Now we are in Galway...a pretty major city on the west coast. We plan to go to the Cliffs of Moher tomorrow (I think). But first we need to go find a pub for some grub. It's been a lovely day. I just wanted to send this out real quick and let you know we made it to the west side.   Cheers my friends! Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment