Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Another Lovely Day in Glasgow



Hiya! It's a blustery day here in Glasgow. A bit of sun, a bit of wind, a bit of rain....lovely, lovely day! We've been walking around the city today. We slept in (and for breakfast I had a tatty scone roll! YUMMMMMY! it's like a potato pancake and it's fried and put between a roll) I love it! After breakfast we walked to Victoria Rd where we took the train into Central station in city centre. Then after getting a coffee at Starbucks we walked our way up to Glasgow Cathedral.When I lived here I used to go up there a lot and sit on the steps in the crypt below and sketch the arches in the architecture. We walked up a hill nearby called the Necropolis (which has a massive old cemetary on the top) to look out over the cityscape. There are so really old gravestones and tombs and markers and celtic crosses....great photo opps. Then we walked back down to Buchanan street and now (after eating a bit of lunch) we're emailing at the internet cafe.   Yesterday a funny thing happened after we left the internet cafe...as I was walking down Buchanan street I saw Alistair walking up it! HELLO! In a city as large as Glasgow is (bigger than Seattle!) and after being gone for 3 years...I actually see someone I know in the middle of city centre coming straight for me!!! Amazing!So we stood and talked for a wee bit. I was cracking up over that.   We did a bit of shopping and then made our way back to Queens Park by train. The train system is my favored type of public transport.I know a lot of people who would rather take the bus...but I prefer the train...it's peaceful and Iike the sound of the train on the tracks. So we stood in Central Station and watched the large reader board to change, looking for the platform to be shown for our particular train (we took the Cathcart train which stops at Victoria Rd)...there are about 3 you can take in that direction, you just watch for the times and platforms.   We walked back to Maggies thru Queens Park(it's a beautiful park, I've painted pictures of it). And then last night we went to a chippy for supper. I had a fried pizza with chips (yummy!) and then for dessert we tried the fried Mars bar (a Glasgow specialty)...it was really sweet! See here in Glasgow if it can be battered fried...they'll do it! So they take a Mars bar candy bar and dip it in a batter and then in it goes into the oil....YUM! it melts the chocolate and caramel and nugget. mmmmmmmmmm.   We watched a little bit of tele last night too...some improv comedy show called "Mock the Week"...kind of like "Who's Line Is It Anyways"...but has to do with politics that have taken place in the news during the week. It was pretty funny...but you have to kind of understand the humor over here to get it.   Tonight I have plans to meet friends at the Bean Scene Coffeehouse near Maggie's flat at half seven (7:30pm) for coffee and wee blather (chat). I think Carrie is coming and maybe Maggie and also Rose...and I hope some others like Amy C can come....but some people have a discipleship home group tonight...so if I don't see them tonight I'll see them on Sunday at church. I've been very blessed so far with being able to see friends...God has been good to me.   Tomorrow my parents and I will leave Glasgow early by car to travel up into the highlands for a few days. So I may not be able to email for awhile...we'll see. We'll be going past Loch Lomond (hoping to stop at the wee town of Luss to have tea and scones) and then up to Glen Coe (a famous valley known for clan battles) and then up to Loch Ness and then to Inverness. We'll be staying in Inverness till Friday. We hope to tour to the battlesite of Culloden (a famous clan battle happened there) and then also over to Eileen Donan Castle (known for being in the movie The Highlander) and then over to the Isle of Skye (where the clan MacLeod has a castle called Dunvegan). We will then travel back down on Friday and stay in Oban overnight (a really beautiful town where ferries dock to head out to the Hebrides isles). We'll drive back to Glasgow on Saturday.   It's great being back here in Glasgow...it is a bit surreal though...every so often I get a memory of my life here 3+years ago...and then I'm reminded that I don't live here, and I'm on holiday. It gives me mixed feelings.   Well...I should probably close this coffeetalk...I must go use the toilet. Thank you all for your continued prayers. I send cuddles (hugs) to you. Cheers, Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment